Monday, July 20, 2009

first day

There was much excitement in our house this morning. The backpack (full with a years worth of stationery) was worn to breakfast and only taken off to put on his hoody for the walk to school.

All four of us walked together and #2 was very excited to see the classroom and play with some of their puzzles. #1 settled on the mat with a girlfriend from kindy and the six other new kids. They whispered and giggled together and were quite happy when we said goodbye. I don't imagine he'll have much trouble settling in.

I took my sunglasses and some tissues (for me) just in case, but haven't felt teary yet. I do feel a teeny bit sad that his time at home as a preschooler has come to an end. We have a had a wonderful five years of music and play dates and zoo visits and beach visits and train trips and baking and play dough and adventures and imaginary games and board games and books, books and more books. I know there will be many more of these things and these times but that it won't be the same. I've been warned about the after school exhaustion and tantrums which we have to look forward to.

He's such a gorgeous kid and makes me laugh so much. Yesterday the two boys played such lovely imaginary games together all morning. There were no fights or shouting matches. Then a wee friend had come to play for the afternoon and it had been quite blissful, everyone had shared, no one had been left out. B had gone fishing for the day and when he returned in the evening he noticed how happy I was and not my usual (sometimes) frazzled state. Even though I had been (stuck) at home with the kids all day it was quite a relaxing Sunday, end of the holidays and end of an era.

After school today I'm taking #1 out for afternoon tea, his special request,
"some time with just me and you mum". I'm looking forward to it too.

5 comments:

  1. Grandpa12:27 PM

    Thanks for sharing this, enjoy your special afternoon tea with the schoolboy,
    L & C Grandpa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Meg; I look forward to hearing how his day went. You're right he is such a darling boy. :)
    I tagged you in one of those 8x8 thingys. Sorry! Do it if you're scraping for post ideas, I guess! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. nana robyn4:16 PM

    I can't believe my No 1 Boy is off to school. Yes, it was Nana who needed the tissues when I saw his first day of school photo, no different from when his dad had his first day! The difference being that this one probably realises that school lasts longer than 1 day. B thought that was it after the 1 day and could get right back to doing as he wanted when he wanted. He thought in that day, he'd be able to read a book, write a book and his teeth would fall out. First big learning curve, he had to go back and do it all over the next day and for many more to come.
    Enjoy school my darling, I love you. XOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Auntie Annie5:14 PM

    Thanks for the first day photos!! He looks mighty grown up with the backpack at the breakfast table :)Lots of love xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! I saw him briefly on Monday...he's didn't even really say hello...just smiled.

    Today I saw him running off to Fitness. He seems to be settling really well.

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx