Friday, November 5, 2010

buyer beware

Okay so I'm a label reader.  It goes with the territory when you have a kid with a serious food allergy.  So when I fed this raspberry jam to our four year old recently I checked the ingredients.  Raspberry and sugar, sweet, no dairy in that... or so I thought (cue ominous music).  He had a number of pikelets with jam for afternoon tea and then didn't feel like his dinner (not like him, he usually is asking for seconds and thirds!).  Later that night I found him asleep in a bed covered with vomit, oh lovely.  Anyway a couple of days later I notice that on the top of the jam it mentions that it's made with a "knob of butter"!  Now I can't tell if that's what caused R to throw up or not that night.  There's no way to tell without trying it again... which we won't be doing in case he has a much worse reaction.  Bloody sneaky labelling if you ask me.  Not impressed with Pope Jam.

5 comments:

  1. ooh that's a bit naughty eh - have you contacted them? I haven't seen that brand around but then we don't eat a lot of jam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes we did contact them and the food standard authority too... so far apparently they're not breaking the law. Allergy NZ are on their case now too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so bad!! Totally need to get told off for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm stunned that it's not illegal - I was under the impression that all allergens had to be in bold type or listed underneath the ingredients. I also have a kid with serious food allergies - however she has just been declared to be allergy free of dairy now (at nearly 4 yrs old) yipeeee! Now just egg and peanut to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meg, that is shocking. I thought with all the new labelling laws it had to state what allergens were in it. Thanks for sharing. Barbs x

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx