Tuesday, July 31, 2012

food festival

Recently they had an international food festival at school.  The hall was filled with trestle tables laden with delicious things from every country imaginable. Now that I'm working and couldn't be there to help #2 choose safe food it actually ended up being quite stressful.  At one point it was looking like the allergy kids (those without parents who could help) were going to be left in their classrooms while all of their classmates feasted and partied in the hall.  I felt so sad for him that I cried a few tears when I got home that day.

So we packed him not one, but two, special lunch boxes of foods from different countries.  The boys made the flags and I organised the food.  He had Japanese edamame and nori, Greek olives, Chinese dumplings, Italian bread sticks, American jelly beans, Turkish delight, Dutch windmill biscuits and Australian lamingtons.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Don't be too hard on yourself, you can only do your best. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those lunchboxes are pretty special - and I bet he loved them. The whole idea of an international lunchbox is a great idea too, I'll be giving it a go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow Megan, I love the lunchbox with all the special international treats.
    I can totally relate to your stress. It is extremely hard as an adult to be in that situation, never mind being a child :(
    But don't blame yourself, I actually think the school need to take responsibility of making sure all the kids can participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sweetie.... such lovely parents.... xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shared lunches are so hard with allergy kids eh? Those lunch box treats looks awesome. Love the extra touches with the flags. I bet it made him feel special.

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx