Two weeks ago #2's teacher pulled me aside for a wee chat. Turns out that the struggles we've been having at home (not listening, not doing what we asked and easily getting off track), were also going on in the class and it was becoming a problem. At home we were regularly getting grumpy with his behaviour. Then the PE teacher casually said something similar to me about him and I also saw the soccer coach taking him aside for a talking to. Uh oh... where was this heading? We were pretty concerned and set about sorting things out to help him out. Obviously telling him to listen and asking him to focus wasn't doing a bit of good. I am so happy to say that things are so much better now. I am quite impressed how quickly we managed to get things turned around. He even got the class certificate at assembly on Friday as his teacher was so pleased.
What we've been doing:
- putting the boys in separate bedrooms = at least an extra hour sleep a night
- fish oils in his green smoothies
- using Dianne Levy's "ask, tell, act" strategy
- using Simone's reward sticker chart with both boys to earn computer time
- we also made a bit of an afternoon schedule which involves an earlier dinner (530) and being in bed earlier too, both boys seem to thrive on routine but I've really neglected having one for a long time