Thursday, August 23, 2012

drink your greens

 Breakfast for the past couple of weeks has included something new.

 Yep, we're on the green smoothie wagon.  Why eat your greens when you can drink them?  To be honest I'm not a big salad or spinach fan but I know that they're so good for you. 


Of course I had to buy a kick arse new blender because my old one just wasn't powerful enough.

You can chuck in whatever you like really.  We've been sticking to the fruit and veg ones but I've heard that milk (of your choice) based smoothies are good.  The idea of milk and spinach is a bit off putting.

Our basic green smoothie:
1/2 - 1 cup of Apple Juice
1/2 - 1 cup water
1 squishy banana
1 whole apple
1 whole kiwifruit
2 big handfuls of spinach
Sometimes I add a peeled orange or lemon
Also a spoonful of soaked chia or flax seeds is good too

 The boys love using straws and I was determined to find some reusable ones which weren't those plastic twisty straws.  These stainless steel smoothie straws are from Living and Giving for about $2.50.

Now I know the idea of a fruit smoothie with greens in can be a bit freaky, but trust me you can make them delicious and get lots of nutrients into your body without too much effort.  I even managed to convince NanaD to try a bit when she was here and she thought it wasn't too bad.  The boys  happily drink down a glass (technically a jar) full every morning.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I bookmarked this one in :) Love the jars, the cool straws and that awesome blender! I'm secretly keen to look for a good blender or juicer after we've set foot on NZ soil again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the end texture of the smoothie, ill give this recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Megan, I haven't visited for so long :( Your blog is always so entertaining with lovely photos so I must check back more often. I love those smoothies and I might even try to make them except green is a no-go pretty much for my kids :) Hope you & your family are well? Helen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx