Monday, March 4, 2013

DIY almond milk

By popular demand (specifically Simone and PaisleyJade) here is a step by step how to make your own almond milk.  As #2 is dairy allergic and I'm lactose intolerant I usually buy the 1L cartons of almond milk. I'm quite enjoying making my own now though.  It helps that I don't have any tv work on at the moment so I can spend more time in the kitchen!  When I'm working many of the domestic goddess things, like bread making,  have to be put on hold.  So here goes...

ALMOND MILK

Ingredients: 
1 cup almonds
3 cups water
2 Tbsp honey or other sweetener (optional)

Method:
Soak the almonds overnight in a jar or bowl of water.  You will have left overs (good to snack on or in salads) so you can use less if you like.  They swell up a bit.

Put one cup of soaked and rinsed almonds into your blender.

Add 3 cups of water and about 2 Tablespoons of honey/maple syrup.  You can make it unsweetened but if you're used to the packaged stuff you'll need a bit of sweet.  A pinch of stevia powder is a healthy option.


Blend blend blend!  If you have a high powered blender then you can get the almonds to a very fine grainy texture.  It's fine to drink like this or have on cereal.  My friend happily has hers quite chunky.  In regards to blenders I have an OmniBlend V blender and it's really great. We use it every day for our smoothies and it does a good job.  You can see my new red food processor too! It really makes a difference having good kitchen gear, my old old one was shedding plastic bits into the hummus! 
So If you want a totally smooth nut milk you're going to need a straining bag.  You can buy them at a whole food store or find a cheaper (paint strainer) version on trademe.  The raw food chef I learnt from swears by the paint strainer bags so that's what I bought.  I've heard that you can't get them in NZ paint shops which is why I mention trademe.

Pop your straining bag into a jug or large jar.  It has handy elastic around the top.

 Pour all of the milk in.


See how creamy it looks now?

 Squeeze and squeeze until the milk is in the jug and you're left with a mostly dry bag of almond mush.

Drink up!

8 comments:

  1. WOW! That is so clever!
    (might have to try it; Rory is on a health kick)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne9:27 AM

    I think you should start up a tv cooking show those photos are wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Not sure I'd want to do the talking bit though x

      Delete
  3. Yay!!! Thanks so much for doing it - and I agree with Dianne, your photography is always amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh look at your lovely red Magimix! I got a high powered Kenwood last year their top model and my second bowl has just cracked, wish I had made a better investment. Does the job though, isn't it amazing what a difference having the right kitchen gear makes. Beautiful photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I know! My old one was a Kenwood, boo :o(

      Delete
  5. What suggestions do you have for the leftover "mush"? Would be a pity to waste it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest I don't have any. Have only made it a couple of times. Perhaps you could use it in bliss balls or granola?

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx