Thursday, April 11, 2013

harry potter dilemma

Have you let your kids read all of the Harry Potter books or watch the movies yet?  Our 8 year old, in the specs, has read books 1-4 (twice at least).  According to him we're being big meanies as we won't let him read books 5-8 yet (there have been tears more than once).  His teacher last year said that she didn't think the later books were suitable and we looked online and found pretty much the same info.  There is a good site Common Sense Media where you can look up any books/movies etc and see what age they're appropriate for.  Perhaps we are being meanies, we just love him and want to protect him from things he might not yet be ready for.  It doesn't help that his best buddy has read them all.

4 comments:

  1. My eight year old has read the first five books, and seen all the movies. I think it depends on the child, my children are pretty sheltered in general but they seem to cope fine with it ( I am slightly embarrassed to admit my 6.5 year old has also seen all the movies!) I think if they have a strong sense of being able to separate fantasy from reality then they will be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are the same. Our kids haven't been into Harry Potter, but with other movies/books we have waited until we feel our kids are mature enough, and sometimes that doesn't go down too well (especially if all their mates at school have seen/read it!!). I'm sure it won't scar them for life to wait a few years (hopefully ;p)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan read them all in year 4 and he coped really well. We haven't seen all the movies. I think the later books are quite dark in their themes and I have always told him to talk to me about any issues he had with them. He never really did. I dont think he actually understood a lot of what was going on when he read them the first time. Now he talks about them (he is 12) and I think he is more ready to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya on this one. When they were first published, I devoured the books. Until book 5. I couldn't get through it! It gave me nightmares (and yeah- I was 28). I haven't seen the later movies either. They just weren't for me. But my kids have been asking about them lately. Not sure what we are going to do about that one...

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx