Thursday, August 15, 2013

lonely...



Wow this really hit a nerve with me when I saw it this morning.  I was just thinking how I haven't blogged for a while and maybe I should get back on that horse.  I do enjoy it after all.  But then I watched this and it really resonated with me.  Things have changed so much since bookface and the internet and blogging began.  It is so hard to not be online 24/7 (especially with a smart phone).  It kind of depresses me to see everyone staring at their screens all the time and being so disconnected from their immediate surroundings... but then I do it too.  I find myself checking the internet far more than I would like, partially because I am at home alone a lot these days and do feel disconnected/lonely.  I've made an effort to see friends this week and it has really helped a lot.  So yeah maybe there will be some blogging soon, I don't know though.  I like to share photos and things here but am not really sure anymore why I'm doing it...  In the mean time though I'm off to interact with people in real life and do my parent help for the week... Strategic Board Games!

From top left, Carcassonne, Dominion, San Juan and Dixit (all highly recommended).

Did you watch the video?  What do you think?

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that it is really thought provoking. I spend probably way too much time contemplating social media, I love to blog and FB and Instagram but I am aware of how narcissistic it can be, I know that feeling of not being in a moment but editing a moment to share the perfect version of it with an audience and it does not feel good, it does isolate you from the people you are supposedly sharing it with. I think being at home can be isolating too, I know that since I got back into work I don't have nearly as much time to be obsessed with myself as I did before.. Not suggesting you are, lol, but that is a theme rhat comes through in so much social media. Please don't stop blogging though, your blog is lovely and I've always found it to be such a neutral blog where you let stories tell themselves. Mostly though with all the things highlighted in what you posted I worry about how it is going to be for my children...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that's what I wonder about too! How are the kid's relationships going to go in the future with society so plugged in all the time? I think that I really need to do the switch off Sunday thing more regularly but as it's an effort we usually don't.

      Delete
  2. Wow that was pretty amazing. And scarily true. I'm looking forward to having real conversation with ya at our fish n chip night on monday. Thanks for being such a lovely friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting video. It reminds me of passing some tourists in a car heading in the other direction and seeing the passenger looking through the view finder of a camera the whole way as they drove through and amazing landscape. Perhaps we need to sometimes stop trying to tell the tale and live it instead.

    I would miss your blog terribly. It is nicely balanced between reality and brilliant photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that is very sweet. I don't think I'll give this up... Just lost my mojo for a bit.

      Delete
  4. Excellent vid. Let's catch up and do coffee, and not take any pictures of it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh that was close to the bone, as lonely indeed I am! I've been thinking about this a bit today. I'm not sure facebook really replaces face-to-face interaction (I mean how many coffee catch ups and phone calls can you have in one day?!) and I have kept my community small which helps. But that tendency to check for another message or some kind of interaction is definitely a problem. Every now and then I get in under control and then it creeps back.

    I've also done a lot of thinking about why I blog. There's loads of reasons for me (I write 2 blogs), a mixture of enjoying the power of words, which seem to flow better when written for a public forum, the desire to record life (like a journal) and the desire for community. Also having something to do that is different to daily at-home-Mum life. I think these are all ok, though there is always that thought that I have to have lots of comments to be successful! The issue of presenting a perfect life to the world is an interesting one which I don't want to be guilty of, though much of my blog is to remind *me* about what is good about my life.

    Thanks for listening to my train of thought! Looking forward to more reading and lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete

so lovely to hear from you xx